Associate Headteacher – St Benet’s MAT
Posted on: Friday 12 May 2023 | St Benet's MAT
St Benet's MAT, Orchard House, Hall Lane, East Tuddenham, NR20 3LR
We are looking for an outstanding practitioner who understands effective teaching and learning.
Job Title: Associate Headteacher – a unique ‘First Headship’ opportunity
Salary: Leadership scale determined by placement and experience
Start date: From September 2023 or by negotiation
Are you an ambitious middle or senior leader who aspires towards becoming a Headteacher? If you are looking for a structured route into Headship which will provide an unrivalled level of mentoring, training and support, then St Benet’s MAT’s unique ‘First Headship’ programme could be ideal for you.
St Benet’s Multi Academy Trust is a Diocesan MAT based around Christian principles. We currently have 11 schools in the Trust, primarily based in beautiful rural South Norfolk, and an ever-growing pipeline of schools across the county keen to join us. Some of our academies are very small and rural, others are much larger and in market towns. Our academies are open to all and accepting of all regardless of faith. Our small central team have a collaborative, peer-to-peer approach to support that brings many benefits to our schools and our staff.
Our staff are at the heart of what we do, and we strive to provide the highest level of support and training to help all our employees thrive. We know Headship can be a daunting step, so we have introduced a unique Trust approach to develop ambitious, exceptional teachers and future leaders into highly effective Headteachers; we call this our First Headship programme.
If successful in your application, you will be appointed as an ‘Associate Headteacher’. This role means you are a Trust Headteacher who will be intensively supported over a number of terms by working in a school where an experienced Head will be your mentor. You will share Headship responsibility in the school and we will build your readiness to take on the full-time substantive Headship in that school or another in our Trust. In your first year this could range from two days of ‘stand-alone’ Headship with three days of being mentored in a co-Head capacity whilst performing a leadership or teaching role in the school, through to an experienced Head placed alongside you for a day a week. The support would be context-specific and agreed with you. We would also support you through the NPQH during this period.
What we offer:
- Placement in a school as part substantive Head and part mentored co-Head/senior leader with a view to leading that school at the end of the programme.
- A permanent leadership scale contract reflecting your role and the opportunity to review that annually as you build your experience and responsibility.
- An experienced Headteacher who mentors you and leads in the same school as you.
- Support through the NPQH and a range of Trust-provided CPD.
- A highly supportive Trust with a group of established Headteachers who work closely together and collaborate at all levels.
- An experienced and skilled central team supporting schools with a strong track record of school improvement.
What we are looking for:
- An outstanding practitioner who understands effective teaching and learning.
- Someone with the desire and drive to lead school improvement and improve children’s lives. You will have experience of leading effective change in schools but this may be in a specific area. Our mentoring programme will help you expand that experience.
- Have started or be willing to start the NPQH.
- Strong emotional intelligence and an ability to work effectively with others at all levels.
- A willingness to learn, to be coached and to reflect on your practice and the practice of others.
Culture and ethos:
- Proactively promote and demonstrate the Diocese’s vision and values in all aspects of work
- Challenge, motivate and empower others to set high aspirations and attain ambitious outcomes
- Treat everyone as a valued individual who is loved by God
- Promote and demonstrate a culture of continuous improvement which includes keeping abreast of educational developments and best management practice
- Work collaboratively developing the concept of family across the Trusts and their academies
- Ensure regular open and honest communication in all professional duties
- Recognise the importance of serving the wider community and promoting inclusivity.
- Undertake such other reasonable duties as may be required from time to time as are consistent with the responsibilities of the grade.
The duties and responsibilities highlighted in this job specification are indicative and may vary over time. Postholders are expected to undertake other duties and responsibilities relevant to the nature, level and scope of the post and the grade has been established on this basis.
The safety and well-being of children is central to our ethos, and we expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Successful applicants will be required to provide references and undertake the Independent Safeguarding Authority checks including an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and comply with the Safeguarding Policy and child protection practices of the Trust.
The Diocese of Norwich St Benet’s Multi Academy Trust (St Benet’s MAT) has a strong commitment to achieving equality of opportunity in its academies and in the employment of people. The post holder will ensure that the St Benet’s MAT meets its statutory obligations in relation to all aspects of equalities legislation. This post involves regular travel around the Diocese and maybe some evening and weekend work. This job description is not an exhaustive document. It reflects the duties and responsibilities applicable at the time of issue. Details and emphasis are subject to amendment and revision in the light of the changing needs of St Benet’s MAT.
How to apply
St Benet’s MAT is proud to offer an attractive package of staff benefits including a health care plan, discounted theatre tickets, discounted gym membership and a cycle to work scheme.
If this is an opportunity that interests you, please contact Suzannah Kay on email@example.com to arrange a discussion with our Deputy CEO. There is no closing date and any initial conversations would include specific school placement discussions.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the safety and welfare of all our pupils and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow safer recruitment practice, and all appointments are subject to satisfactory enhanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) clearance, satisfactory references and verification of identity and qualifications.
You may also be interested in...View all
Apprenticeship, Teaching Assistants
Teaching Assistant Apprentice – Kessingland Church of England Primary Academy
Diocese of Norwich Education and Academies Trust
Kessingland Church of England Primary Academy, Church of Primary Academy, Field Ln, Kessingland, Lowestoft NR33 7QA
Kessingland Church of England Primary Academy is looking for a committed and enthusiastic Teaching Assistant Apprentice to join our excellent team of Learning Support staff.Details
Year 3 & 4 Teacher – Morley Church of England Primary Academy
St Benet's MAT
Morley Church of England Primary Academy, Deopham Road, Morley St Botolph, Wymondham, Norfolk, NR18 9TS
We are looking for a Teacher who is hardworking, enthusiastic, dedicated and wants to make a difference to our wonderful children and the community.Details